Not in My City, Not in My State Campaign
Human trafficking, one of the fastest growing crimes, is one of the most unifying social justice issues of our time. The Not in My City, Not in My State Campaign brings people together in agreement. It is a multi-city movement that has been launched to engage local communities who want to use their time, talent and treasure to fight the issue of human trafficking.
Community leaders and activists can come together with this simple but effective campaign to make a public stand together and show their city they will not tolerate human trafficking in their community.
The goal is to bring momentum to this campaign. City, county, and state proclamations were secured and several press conferences were held in Elk Grove and Sacramento, CA as well as the State Capitol.
Launch this campaign in your city or county.
- Secure a Not in My City Proclamation through your mayor’s office. This can be adapted for a county or state proclamation. (Download Proclamation)
- Host a Not in My City Rally. This can be on Nation Human Trafficking Awareness Day on January 11th or another day of your choosing at city hall or another appropriate venue. Invite key city leaders to come and speak briefly and read the city proclamation. Supporting organizations can be encouraged to bring signage to show their support and solidarity.
- Invite the local press. Ask your city leaders to also send out a press release to their contacts. (Download sample press release)
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org for more information and to let us know you are doing this campaign.
Phone: 916-517- 1616 (Courage Worldwide offices*)
Social Media: Not in My City. Not in My State Facebook page will post your event- invite people to like and engage on this page.
*Although this campaign has been launched by Courage Worldwide and the logos are trademarked, is not for the sole purpose of promoting any one organization. The heart behind it is to unite a city together in the fight against human trafficking.
Suggested groups to reach out to endorse and participate in the Not in My City, Not in My State Campaign
- District Attorney’s Office
- Board of supervisors (Sacramento did a county proclamation too)
- Key non-profits (related to human trafficking) and human trafficking coalition groups
- Faith-based community
- Schools: junior high, high school, college
- Political leaders
- Law Enforcement: corrections, CHP, police department, sheriff, probation
- Law Enforcement Chaplaincy
- Businesses- Metro Chambers, others
- Clubs- Rotary, Soroptimist, Lion’s, Kiwani’s, etc.
- CPS, Child Welfare, Foster Care
- Sports Teams
- Celebrities- local ones
- Political leaders
- Cross-cultural groups
- Massage therapists (many are tired of their industry being used for a front and they want to make a stand)